The second annual Orange Winter Fire Festival fires up in just over one week, with more than 30 events showcasing the region at its winter best.
Festival highlights in 2019 include:
- Millthorpe Night Markets: Kick off this year’s festivities from 5pm on Friday 2 August at the hallmark event of the festival, night markets in the historic Millthorpe Village. Free to attend, vendors this year will include Fresh Fodder soups, Second Mouse cheese toasties, beers from Beekeepers Inn and wine from Cumulus, Rikard, Twisted River, Antonio’s and Slow Wine Co.
- Fondue by the fire: Dip into melted cheese fondue as you snuggle up by the fire at Rowlee Wines with a glass of wine. 12pm 3-4 August for $45 per person.
- Winter at Heifer Station: Spend a perfect winter afternoon with a bonfire at Heifer Station Wines on Saturday 3 August – glasses of wine and rustic mugs of goulash, while children devour cheese toasties, hot chocolate and fire-toasted marshmallows.
- Readers and Writers Festival: Hear from five guest authors as they speak about their latest works including Meg Keneally, Tim Ayliffe, Summer Land, Felicity McLean and keynote speaker Debra Adelaide. Tickets are $90 each. Saturday 3 August.
- Knitting workshop: Orange’s very own fleece experts, Adagio Mills will run a knitting workshop from 3pm on Saturday 3 August. Test out your knitting skills and take a tour of the mill to see how the yarn is made. Tickets are $65 per person and include all the materials you’ll need.
- Feast and Fire Long Lunch: Join Botanica Flora’s workshop in Milthorpe’s historic theatre to learn how to build your very own centrepiece using foraged florals and foliage. Head to local hatted restaurant Tonic where a winter feast long lunch awaits. Tickets are $90 per person – Sunday 4 August from 11am.
- Fire it up: Soak up a night of music, light and art as Orange’s cultural centre, The Building, is transformed into a winter performance and visual arts hub on Friday 2 August. Featuring performances by ARIA-award winning songwriter Mike Carr and local musicians Kyle Manning and Amy Viola. Tickets are $50 per person.
WHEN: 2-4 August 2019